Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Sometimes important steps aren't great blog material

I had a financial meeting that lasted for HOURS today. It was the kind of meeting that people don't want to read about on a weblog, but it was definitely needed and productive.

Communicating across continents and different first languages can be a little tricky when you think about how involved some of these projects really are. We really wanted to set aside some time during this trip to go through the budgets line by line and discuss in painful detail things like expectations, reporting, transparency, etc... Like I said, not something for a blog, but very necessary.

We had our first real focus groups today. Mine, with the boys, was excellent. It was much like yesterday in that the students in my class didn't mind discussing this subject matter one little bit. Unfortunately for Lindsay, there is a cultural expectation on girls here to keep quiet about these kinds of things. She said that getting people to talk was actually a lot of work. She still got a lot of good information, it just wasn't quite the same setting as my classroom. I am eager to go back through the recordings and compare the data we are gathering.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Collin, I blog about my hours-long financial meetings ALL THE TIME. It's great material. I don't know what you're talking about.